Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Leafy Sea Dragon and Awkward Silence

We started our morning with our basic chores of getting dressed and the making the bed. I was proud of Mary for starting on her bed without having to remind her. I guess with 4 year olds if you do something 50 times, it starts to become automatic. Just wish it had only taken 5 times.

Maggie and Mary started talking about bible school as soon as they put their camp shirts on. Mary said something about the deer group, but Maggie corrected her, "Mary, it's the Chinese Water Deer group." Then Mary pointed to an animal on her shirt and couldn't remember what it was. Maggie quickly blurted out, "That's Fern the Leafy Sea Dragon." Luckily they are in the the Hedgehog group which is pretty straight forward.

We finished the only school activities we are doing this week; bible story, Pledge of Allegiance, calendar and writing/tracing. The writing of the letter Q turned into drawing rectangles, squares and triangles. The good looking ones are mine...haha.


Love this book!


                                         

We decided to bike over with the trailer. They were cracking me up while I was getting all the ridiculous biking equipment down and hooked up. Since I didn't write it down, I can't remember any of it. Wish my mind was as sharp as theirs!

Maggie cried this time at drop off. The same cranky old church lady was pretty much pushing me out again. I guess I am about the only mom who walks all the way in with them, but I really just want to say, "back off old lady!" I realized that wasn't the Christian response and instead said my goodbyes and left. 

After camp many of us stayed and had a picnic while the kids played with their new toys.  I met a new mom and the first questions is always, "Are they starting Kindergarten this year?" First I say, 'No, they are not old enough yet (since their birthday is December 5th).' and then I say, "But we are Homeschooling for now.'  Awkward silence followed by an "Oh, wow! That's neat, but I could never do that."  Another awkward pause. I explained that I had never even thought of homeschooling before we had the girls and that it's all pretty new and different to me, but we love it so far.  Blank stare and that was pretty much the end to the conversation. Luckily my homeschooling friend Windy was sitting next to me and we continued to talk about it!


                                               

After the bike ride home, we were all tired, especially me. The girls still had energy to teach me the dance to the Jesus song and Maggie said, "Mom, you are getting pretty good at this!" She's such an encouraging teacher, that Magster. 

While I was doing something in the kitchen, it became way too quiet. This is what I found; the girls reading while listening to Christian music. Love it! And no, this doesn't happen most of the time. Usually Mary is upstairs raiding my closet for shoes and Maggie is dumping out several bins of toys and stuffed animals. 

                                



4 comments:

Ginny said...

It's so sweet when kids curl up with a pile of books, isn't it? Love those pictures!

Therese said...

Hate it when the crankies try to shuffle moms out of the way. Love the photos and your descriptions, too!

Greg Ricketts said...

Erin - I love the stories you write about your "travels" with the girls!

Nana said...

Love to hear about them and see them reading. They are right where they are supposed to be and I thank our Lord over and over again!