Monday, June 23, 2014

Weird Animals and Tears

Today was the first day of Vacation Bible School at our local Baptist Church. I kept joking that they were kind enough to let the Catholics come. It's called Weird Animals and is a program that can be purchased for any church or organization. The message is that Jesus loves them in all their differences and imperfections, just as He loves the weird animals that they will learn about. I got their snacks ready with a little love note, but was a little irritated that one of the coordinators tried to give them back to me because she said they provided a snack. She said popcorn, but turns out it was jello. I am not that much of a health nut, but that's not exactly what I'd consider a substantial snack! Glad Mary insisted they hold on to theirs.  Seeing their friend Avila and her mother, who was volunteering, made them feel safe.
I was looking forward to some ME time, but I was fighting back the tears as we said goodbye. I hope they didn't notice.  Man, I love these girls!!!





My tears subsided after talking to Larry and started to take care of few of my To Do items. While waiting for them to be done, I talked to many moms that I knew from around town.  The girls walked out hand in hand just as they had walked in. They had a blast and Maggie said, "I love camp!" This is the girl who wept weeks ago when I told her about signing her up for this. She thought it meant they were going camping without us for 4 days. 

Here they are showing me the dance they learned with the theme song. These darn Jesus songs always make me cry. 




Between afternoon book reading, we start talking about how God loves us even when we are not perfect and that His love is perfect. Mary looks at me and says, "You are perfect Mommy." I said humbly, "No, I am not perfect." She immediately starts crying. Perplexed, I began thinking of what she could have meant based on our conversation.  After a few guesses, finally she agreed that she meant her love for me was perfect.  So sweet. 



After books, we got to squeeze in some painting before my Yoga class.  I tried to show them how to draw something first with pencil and then paint it. I suggested we continue our train theme and use rectangles and circles.  Maggie wasn't having it and instead painted a picture of her on a crane, with the sun and sky. Mary drew and painted a hula girl and her walking a black dog (O.K., sort of following directions). I am the only one who followed the instructions, but isn't creativity best expressed when you come up with your own ideas? Apparently. Sometimes I just need to get out of the way. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Mrs. Prrnt! Thanks for taking the time to share. Love you guys!

Adrienn

Nana said...

Love it Erin. Keep it coming. I wanted to cry when I saw the lunch boxes and the two of them walking into 'camp'. Cute dance too.